Saturday, February 16, 2008

Tucson

I'm TDY (that's what my military students taught me to call it, Temporary Duty) in Tucson at the moment, teaching the graduate course that I do at Fort Lewis but at Davis Monthan AF Base.
I don't have any pictures, but if you go to google maps and tell it to search S. Kolb Rd, Tucson, the little green arrow should put you right in the middle of the "boneyard." (If not, the cross street you need is E. Irvington.) Be sure to choose "Satellite."
This is the place where all surplused US military aircraft (and a couple of old Soviet planes as well) are stored. It's real name is the aircraft restoration center, as some of these aircraft will fly again, though probably not for the US. They might be sold or given to another military.

The satellite photo is clear enough to see the planes that have had wings cut off (to show their disabling in order to meet treaty obligations, as I've always heard). If you knew where to look, you could probably see the 3 Soviet MiGs, and the various planes that are sitting on wood blocks after being cannibalized for parts. There are supposedly even some planes that are sort of "quarantined" after their involvement in various Agent Orange activities. Bill Clinton's Marine One is there, too.

It was all kind of interesting for me...sorta like the Soviet missile base last summer (who or what prevailed upon me to wear short pants?).

Anyway, more about Peter when I return.

AM

No comments: